Inspirations



I have always loved History, Literature and Art.........................................................................................................
beautiful things, the stuff of dreams..................................................

flowers, butterflies, fairy tales, embroidered fragments, Chinese blues, Botticelli angels, Blake's visions, Burne-Jones pictures............................................................................................

amongst many other hints and wisps of the past..........................

to catch in my net and weave into mydesigns..................

which I hope others might find as beautiful as their inspirations.

Thursday 19 May 2011

Oriental butterflies....


As every man and his dog decided to include an on trend butterfly in their collection I wasn't sure whether to do so too.  However, butterflies are one of the things I have always loved, and it is old Chinese textiles, usually blue, embroidered with butterflies that I collect.  Also, they are another of my links with my Oriental past-I used to sit on my vedrandah and watch some beauties, flying in the jungle at the bottom of my garden in the New Territories.  So I have tried to produce a different/innovatory slant on the theme.!

I wanted to represent the clouds of butterflies as well as the collection feel.  My dense paper designs seem to do that.. 

The first card shows items of ephemera collected from my time in HK. They include a card from my best friend Sue (then and now) when she revisited it and a picture from an old book that I love (showing scenes of life in China that remind me of my visit). 

The second card represents the butterflies I watched.  It uses a different kind of background to show I can use a variety of techniques ( as well as fitting the design as the colours went). It was constructed by tearing up a picture I had done, but disliked, of bamboo and constructing a rough branch from the bits.  I placed it on a brusho washed paper and then put an number of 3D butterflies on it. I think the contrast of detailed fineliner drawing and rough torn paper is quite unusual but hopefully effective?

The third picture is rather Victorian ansd so forms a bridge between my Minor Project and my FMP. However, it's Oriental twist is the use of HK banknotes of similar colour to the butterflies as a backdrop to the 3D butterflies.  This represents HK perfectly- beautiful, exotic but all about money.....

No comments:

Post a Comment