Inspirations



I have always loved History, Literature and Art.........................................................................................................
beautiful things, the stuff of dreams..................................................

flowers, butterflies, fairy tales, embroidered fragments, Chinese blues, Botticelli angels, Blake's visions, Burne-Jones pictures............................................................................................

amongst many other hints and wisps of the past..........................

to catch in my net and weave into mydesigns..................

which I hope others might find as beautiful as their inspirations.

Thursday 19 May 2011

Madam Butterfly flies again......................!!!!

Couldn't sleep as worried I may have handed in part of the PDP in for the wrong module so decided to put my next post up a little earlier than usual!!!!:-(((

In an earlier post I showed the design process for the  Altered Art influenced Madam Butterfly.  Having created her and developed a few cards I then left her until she was used for some designs I made for PPF (shown a few weeks ago at hand in time ).  However, she was very much how I imagined those tiny trapped rich Chinese women of ancient times and what I had in mind when I wrote the brief. so long ago.


I produced a fan and bunting as they seemed appropriate to tiny butterfly women fluttering in the breeze, or creating a draught with their little wings.  The card represents the lives of the women of Ancient China, trapped behind fret work windows (cut by scalpel) by their circumstances and by their tiny broken lotus feet.  I have put a tiny 'real' butterfly in the top right hand corner of the card to represent freedom.

The paper is a composition of multiple Bonsai branches which magically (so it seemed to me !!) formed a lovely (I think???!!!) chinoiserie framework into which I placed images of real butterflies alternately with Madame Butterfly! I am amazed that I created something so intricate and am really pleased with this wrapping paper design.  I am extra pleased with it because it conveys my subject Oriental with just the slant/feel I wanted which is totally 'me' and I think innovatory (I've never seen one like it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment