Inspirations



I have always loved History, Literature and Art.........................................................................................................
beautiful things, the stuff of dreams..................................................

flowers, butterflies, fairy tales, embroidered fragments, Chinese blues, Botticelli angels, Blake's visions, Burne-Jones pictures............................................................................................

amongst many other hints and wisps of the past..........................

to catch in my net and weave into mydesigns..................

which I hope others might find as beautiful as their inspirations.

Monday 9 May 2011

Lazy Daisy!!!!!

Another of my last design developments to be mounted first!!!


I have a small collection of old lacquerware (papier mache in the style of) boxes.  I was given the first by my Grandmother, many years ago and I loved the daisies, forget-me knots and butterfly printed on the lid. As I had obtained a few more piece of genuine old oriental lacquerware over the years , as part of my oriental interior decoration, I wanted to include a lacquer look card with a modern twist. Hopefully I have managed...........?!!!

The daisy is very like the originals but its leaves are mor feathery and so even more of a cutting out night mare.  I found it growing wild, i.e. a weed (!!!!), where I walk my dog  and could not believe my luck.  I drew it then, last Autumn and it's been waiting until now to be developed into what I imagined all those months ago.

I had printed the image onto a yellowish background which I cut away for these designs.  However, I really liked the yellow with black so I developed another set of designs to show this colourway. As lazy daisy was one of the easiest and so one of the first embroidery stitches I learnt as a youngster (such a mispent youth ;-)) and the image is like a daisy I decided to do a simple stitch with a simple image and simple plant (although  a favourite childrens hymn does say 'daisies are our silver.............that misspent youth again!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment