Inspirations



I have always loved History, Literature and Art.........................................................................................................
beautiful things, the stuff of dreams..................................................

flowers, butterflies, fairy tales, embroidered fragments, Chinese blues, Botticelli angels, Blake's visions, Burne-Jones pictures............................................................................................

amongst many other hints and wisps of the past..........................

to catch in my net and weave into mydesigns..................

which I hope others might find as beautiful as their inspirations.

Saturday 26 February 2011

Batik Factory, Penang, Malaysia

I visited the Batik Factory in Penang, years ago when on a family holiday from Hong Kong. I looked it up, for my F.M.P. research into batik, and discovered it is still a  thriving concern.  I have the two beautiful floral/ butterfly sarongs I bought during my visit, hoping to visit to this beautiful island again in the future 

I hope to try some form of batik, for one of my designs, as it is such an archetypical Asian printing method. The Japanese paste resist is very similar. This clip shows it is still carried out in the traditional way, using wood blocks, another technique used by the Japanese silk and paper printing


No comments:

Post a Comment