Inspirations



I have always loved History, Literature and Art.........................................................................................................
beautiful things, the stuff of dreams..................................................

flowers, butterflies, fairy tales, embroidered fragments, Chinese blues, Botticelli angels, Blake's visions, Burne-Jones pictures............................................................................................

amongst many other hints and wisps of the past..........................

to catch in my net and weave into mydesigns..................

which I hope others might find as beautiful as their inspirations.

Saturday 17 September 2011

Pascale Hemery -french print artist's workshop at the Bowes Museum

Had great fun trying to produce lino prints at Bowes Museum today!!!!!

Pascale, a lovely french print artist, come to England, with her partner Luc, to take a workshop as part of the activities associated with the John P Eckblad 'Heart of Progress' exhibition. John a collector of imagery associated with industrial subject matter has a number of Pascales prints in his collection.

A room full of eager students, including a large french contingent, (consisting of members of John's family and friends) assembled at 10 am and began to create designs on an industrial theme. Having transferred them to lino we cut in to them and, after inking them up, produced large numbers of prints, with the help of Luc on the press!!!

Although I found it very much outside my comfort zone, being used to producing detailed fine line drawings, I really enjoyed myself. The medium isn't suited to fine detailed and so simple shapes/designs have to be created. So I made a simple factory scene with lines and stylised smoke. It looked very crude, on the lino, as I tried to carve out the lines for printing. Somehow the print looked ok!!!!!

I attended the session because I have wanted to try lino printing after seeing the beautiful prints on Mangleprints blog. I am even more impressed by them having had a go at the technique myself!!

I really enjoyed my day out. Pascale was a very good teacher,who was supported by a very enthusiastic , knowledgeable and helpful member of Bowes staff called Pauline. I met some very nice people, had a delicious lunch in the museum cafe, learnt a new technique and produced some 'art'. What more can one ask of a day?! Perfick!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment